News

Judge Orders More Than 50 Residents of Illegal RV Encampment to Vacate Sylmar Property

Judge Orders More Than 50 Residents of Illegal RV Encampment to Vacate Sylmar Property

A satellite image of a home with a makeshift RV park in the backyard in Los Angeles, Calif., in 2023. (Google Maps/Screenshot via The Epoch Times)

City News Service

City News Service

7/20/2023

Updated: 7/20/2023

LOS ANGELES—A judge on July 19 ordered a Sylmar homeowner and the more than 50 people residing in RVs illegally parked on the owner’s property to vacate within four days.
According to reports, the homeowner, identified as Cruz Florian Godoy, allowed roughly 20 RVs onto the property, charging each RV owner about $500 a month in rent.
ABC7 reported Ms. Godoy did not have permits allowing RVs on her property. Ms. Godoy was charged with two misdemeanors stemming from the parking of RVs and the maintenance of trash and debris.
Neighbors complained and reported smells coming from the address, then later captured on camera what they contended was human waste spilling into the street and into yards.
According to the office of Los Angeles City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez, who represents Council District 7, which includes portions of Sylmar, a court-ordered pre-inspection occurred Tuesday, which availed the first opportunity for the city to access the private property at 14008 W. Hubbard Street.
City officials conducted a “comprehensive” inspection of the premises, in advance of a July 19 court hearing that had been scheduled due to previous citations and alleged noncompliance by the property owner.
The inspection revealed additional public health and safety concerns that prompted intervention from the city Department of Water and Power to shut down power access to the property.
“[Councilwoman] Rodriguez in the last two weeks has been discretely coordinating resources to offer alternative housing solutions to those residing in the RVs and working with Emergency Management and Recreation and Parks Departments to stand up emergency shelter upon being informed that power would be shut off,” according to a statement from the councilwoman’s office.
The city will offer resources and housing options to the people residing in RVs, city officials said July 19.
According to Ms. Rodriguez’s office, the councilwoman reported the issue to the Department of Building and Safety when notified of the complaints, resulting in violations and compliance notices.
“While this case continued through the court system we recognized the severity and grave circumstances with this private property and worked with great urgency to alleviate the impacts for both the individuals living on the property and neighboring residents,” Ms. Rodriguez said in a statement.
Ms. Rodriguez also said her office was able to collaborate with the Emergency Management and Recreation and Parks departments to assemble emergency shelters.
“We operated with measured discretion and urgency for the protection of the residents on the property,” she said in a statement.
The city’s Housing Department and the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority responded to provide housing relocation services, the councilwoman added.
Joyce Kuo contributed to this report. 
Copy
facebooktwitterlinkedintelegram
California Insider
Sign up here for our email newsletter!
©2024 California Insider All Rights Reserved. California Insider is a part of Epoch Media Group.