WHO WE ARECalifornia Insider and its affiliates (collectively “California Insider,” “our,” “us,” or “we”) gathers and processes your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice. This notice provides you with the necessary information regarding your rights and obligations, and explains how, why, and when we collect, process, and use your personal information.
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECTWe collect your information in several ways, including: Information we collect from you; Information we collect from when you use our Services; and Information we collect from third parties. When you use our Services (e.g., purchase a subscription or other products, browse our sites, use our apps, complete a survey, etc.), we may request and you may provide your personal information to California Insider. California Insider collects, uses and processes your personal information to provide our Sites and Services to you, and to meet our legal, statutory and contractual obligations. The specific information we collect depends upon your use of the Sites and our other Services, as described below.
“Personal information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to or is reasonably capable of being associated with an identifiable individual, and includes the data sets referred to below.
The personal information that we may collect includes:-Your name;
-Your Email (only applicable to account registration, for our newsletter service, subscription or if you submit an inquiry through our sites);
-Your billing and contact information, such as your name, address, telephone number (only applicable to subscription of certain paid services);
-Your user account information (including email address and access information);
-Your telephone number and voicemail if you call our hotline;
-Your IP address and unique user/device identifiers;
-Your demographic information, such as your age and gender;
-Your payment card or other online payment information;
-Your purchasing history and subscription information;
-Browser type and browsing history;
-Device type and other device information;
-Cookies and tags;
-Your user generated content (such as your comments to our Sites, chat information, and other content that you generate and provide to us);
-Information on user activity/behaviors, interests, and preferences on our Sites and apps; and
-Information from third parties and other databases.
How We Collect Your InformationThe personal information is collected in several different ways, including: registration forms to sign up for our online and offline Services, billing, user generated content (e.g., comments), survey, contacting our service center, different cookies and tracking technologies, and other sources.
- Information You Provide to Us. This includes the information that you provide to The California Insider directly — for instance, when you purchase a subscription or create an account, contact us with a question, applying for a job through our Sites, post comments or other user generated content to our Sites, or otherwise directly interact with us. Please note that information you choose to provide through comments or other user generated content to our Sites may be publicly accessible and viewable to other visitors to the Sites.
- Information Gathered During the Use of Our Services. This includes among others information automatically gathered through your use of our Sites, such as through cookies.
- Information Collected after Consent.In some contexts, we may ask for your consent before collecting certain types of information.
- Data from other sources.We also obtain data from other partners or third parties that help us provide our services to you.
Please be advised that if you choose to reject all cookies, then certain areas of the Site might not function properly.
Examples of cookies we use:
- First Party Cookies. We use first party cookies, including session cookies and preference cookies, to remember your selections, choices, and preferences for when you interact with our Sites. Session cookies are temporary and are automatically deleted once you close your Internet browser. Preference cookies are first party cookies that remain on your device until you delete them or they are otherwise removed upon expiration.
—Facebook, Twitter, and other Social Media Partners (Social Media Cookies): to enable the sharing of content through social media sites and otherwise allow you to interact or connect with such sites while using our platforms;
—Advertising partners: Google (Google Ad Manager): to collect information about your activities on our Sites and apps, and serve you personalized advertising.
—Interest-Based Advertising & Analytics: We utilize third parties to collect information about your activities on our Sites and apps, and serve you interest-based advertising and analyze the activity on our Sites and apps.
- Other Technologies: We collect many different types of information from other technologies to improve the quality of our Site and the services we provide. For example, we may collect usage data and other information about the device you use to access our Site, your operating system and/or mobile device type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone where your device is located. We may record the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet.
- These technologies include web beacons and scripts: Web beacons are pieces of code embedded in a website or e-mail to monitor your activity on the website or your opening of the e-mail, and which can pass along information such as the IP address of the computer or device you use to view the website or open the e-mail, the URL page on which the web beacon is located, the type of web browser that was used to access the website, and previously set cookie values. Web beacons are sometimes used to collect advertising data, such as counting page views, promotion views or advertising responses. Disabling your computer’s, device’s or web browser’s cookies may prevent some web beacons from tracking or recording certain information about your activities. Please be advised that if you disable all such cookies, then certain areas of the Site might not function properly.
- Software Development Kits (“SDKs”): We may use SDKs on our mobile app to collect analytics regarding the use and functionality of our mobile app. Additionally, we may collect mobile ad identifiers on our mobile app for interest-based or cross-application advertising and analytics. To opt-out of the collection of mobile data for cross-application advertising, please contact us utilizing the information in the “Other Questions” Section below. Additionally, if you access our mobile app utilizing an iPhone, you may turn off cross-application tracking in the Privacy section of your phone settings.
Your Cookie ChoicesWhen it comes to how you want to use or allow cookies to be used on your devices, you are in control. Most internet browsers are initially set to accept cookies. You can set your browser to block or otherwise control what cookies your browser or mobile device accepts via your browser or mobile device settings. Additionally, you can choose to modify your settings and delete cookies that are otherwise stored on your device. Please consult the instructions provided by your browser or your mobile device’s manufacturer to determine how you can limit the placement of and/or remove cookies or other technologies. Please note, however, that limiting or disabling essential cookies and other technologies may impact or adversely affect some portion or functions of our Sites.
Controlling Cookies and Opt Out ChoicesYou can visit the following sites for comprehensive information on how to manage cookies and how to opt out of cookies used for advertising and marketing purposes:
For individuals in the United States:
-The Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Choice tool at https://www.aboutads.info/choices
-The Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices program at https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices
-The Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out program at https://www.optout.networkadvertising.org/
For EU/EEA-based individuals:
-The EDAA opt-out program at https://www.youronlinechoices.eu
We partner with third-party sponsors, affiliates, vendors, and other companies who might have links, content, or applications on the Sites. These third parties might also use tracking tools on our Sites or other Sites to collect information about you when you use the Sites. They may collect information about your online activities over time and across different Sites and other online services. We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about such a link, content, or application, you should contact the third entity directly. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices on any websites, applications, tracking tools, or other technology that are not operated by The California Insider, even though our Sites might link to them or they might link to our Sites.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONThe California Insider takes your privacy very seriously. The purposes and reasons for collecting, processing, and using your personal information are detailed below:
- To provide you with the subscriptions, news, content, other information, and other Services that you seek from us;
- To improve the contents of the Sites and apps to serve you, and make them more suitable to your needs and increase their usability;
- To analyze how you and other users interact with our Sites;
- To provide customer support;
- To communicate with you about your account, your subscription or other transactions;
- To make your navigation more pleasant and personalized, with our products (such as contents) and services personalized to you;
- To facilitate your experience and social sharing;
- To analyze and develop our new products and services for the interest of users;
- To send you newsletters, offers or other communications about our products and services, such as special or promotional events, including services, products, or events, or other materials;
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our Terms of Service or other policies, or which may be fraudulent or illegal;
- In specific cases we will be contractually obligated to share your data with one of our third-party partners explained above.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONWe may share or disclose your personal information to help provide our Services to you. For instance, we may share your information with our affiliated companies and service providers to respond to your requests or process your subscriptions. We may also provide your Personal Information to third party service providers who assist us in providing certain services. For example, we may share the information we collect from you with our cloud hosting service providers.
We may also disclose or share your information for the following purposes:
- To facilitate and improve the quality of our Services.
- To protect our users and network against fraud and security threats.
- To comply with a legal obligation.
- To protect and defend our rights or property.
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Services.
- To protect the personal safety of individuals or the public.
- To protect against legal liability.
- When there is a good faith belief that such action is necessary to investigate or protect against harmful activities to our guests, visitors, associates, or property (including the Websites), or to others. This may include disclosures to law enforcement to investigate potential criminal activity or other civil violations.
- Our affiliated companies within the California Insider family;
- Our third-party service providers, such as Google, to analyze how users use our websites and apps, track user interests, trends and patterns in order to serve you personalized content which is relevant to your interests;
In certain situations, we will only share your information with your consent, as noted below.
We may from time to time be required to provide information to law enforcement or other governmental authorities pursuant to a warrant, court order, or other lawful process.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH OUR ADVERTISING AND MARKETING PARTNERSSome of the above sharing and use of your information is only done where we have obtained your consent to do so. For example, we may ask your consent to provide your personal information, including IP address information, interest data, unique IDs and other information to certain third parties that help us advertise and market our services. In those instances where we ask your consent, we will only share your information with those third parties where you have given us permission to do so. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at using the contact information listed in the “Exercising your Privacy Rights” section below.
All the above categories exclude text messaging originator opt-in data and consent; this information will not be shared with any third parties for their own marketing purposes.
SECURITY MEASURESThe California Insider takes your privacy seriously and we take reasonable measures and precautions to protect and secure your personal information. This includes implementing physical, technical, administrative, and other safeguards to protect you and your information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction.
Encryption is our security strategy to ensure the stored personal information can be accessed only by the authorized roles and services with audited access to the encryption keys.
Personal information is encrypted and stored in a private and isolated environment for extended security.
CONSEQUENCES OF NOT PROVIDING YOUR DATAYou are not obligated to provide your personal information to California Insider. However, there may be times where your information is required for us to provide you with our Services, deliver requested products, or provide you with the content, feedback, or other materials that you request from us. In certain situations, we will not be able to offer some or all of our products or Services to you without requesting or collecting your personal information.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR DATACalifornia Insider retains your personal information for as long as necessary for the purpose for which it is collected, to provide you with our Services, such as our Sites and apps.
OUR POLICY ON “DO NOT TRACK” SIGNALSWe do not support “Do Not Track.” Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable “Do Not Track” by visiting the “Preferences” or “Settings” page of your web browser.
We may track users across time and over different websites or platforms.
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTSIndividuals may have certain rights over their personal information under particular laws. Please see the following sections regarding the rights you may have over your information:
1. California Consumer Privacy Act and California Privacy Rights ActThe California Insider Association, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization. Under the California Consumer Privacy Act and the California Privacy Rights Act of 2023 (collectively, the “CPRA”), certain organizations that do business in California and collect personal information about California residents are subject to privacy disclosure, access, and deletion requirements.
California law allows California residents once a year to request information regarding our disclosure of your personal information, if any, to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. This information includes:
- The categories of information we disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year;
- The names and addresses of third parties that received the information; and
- If the nature of the third party’s business cannot be determined from their name, to obtain examples of the products or services marketed.
- Right to Know and Access Specific Information. You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past twelve (12) months. Once we receive and confirm a verifiable consumer request from you, we will disclose to you, to the extent permitted by law:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you, and whether we sell or share your information to third parties.
- The specific pieces of personal information we hold about you.
- The categories of personal information sold within the last 12 (twelve) months.
- The categories of sources from which personal information about you is collected.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing your personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom your personal information is sold, shared, or disclosed for a business purpose.
- Deletion Request Rights. You have the right to request that we delete the personal information that we collected from you, subject to certain exceptions. To the extent that we can delete your personal information, once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Information, unless an exception applies.
- Right to Correct Inaccurate Information. To the extent that we may maintain inaccurate personal Information, you have the right to request that we correct such inaccurate personal information taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing of the personal Information. Once we receive and verify your verifiable consumer request, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct your personal information.
- Sale and Sharing of Personal Information and the Right to Opt Out. You have the right to opt out of the processing of your Information for the following purposes:
- Sale of your personal information.
- Sharing of your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising.
- Right to Limit Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. You have the right to request that we limit the ways we use and disclose your sensitive personal information (as defined by the CCPA) to uses which are necessary for us to perform the Services, or deliver the goods reasonably expected by you, or and as authorized by law.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. You have a right to not be discriminated against in the Services or quality of Services you receive from us for exercising your rights. We may not, and will not, treat you differently because of your data subject request activity. As a result of your data subject request activity, we may not and will not deny goods or Services to you, charge different rates for goods or Services, provide a different level quality of goods or Services, or suggest that we would treat you differently because of your data subject request activity.
Once The California Insider receives and confirms a verifiable consumer request, we will work to promptly process such request. The need to verify an individual’s identity is critical to protecting your information, and ensuring that your information is not shared with anyone pretending to be you or someone who is not authorized to act as your agent on your behalf. To that end, we must be able to verify your information in order to process your request.
We will ask you to provide information about yourself so that we can verify your identity as part of this process. This information may include your name, address, account information, and any other information deemed necessary by The California Insider to reasonably verify your identity, to ensure that your information is not shared with anyone impersonating you. Once we have verified your identity, we will work to fulfill your request in a timely manner. Please note there may be some situations in which we are unable to fulfill your request, such as if we cannot find any information about you within our systems. Additionally, we may not be able to honor a deletion request in some situations, such as if your information is necessary to fulfill the Services you requested or meet a legal obligation. We will inform you whether we can fulfill your rights request.
We may ask for additional information if we have difficulty confirming your identity. You may use an authorized agent to submit verifiable consumer requests on your behalf provided that the authorized agent is a natural person or a business entity that you have authorized to act on your behalf. If you use an authorized agent, we will require: (1) proof of written permission for the authorized agent to make requests on your behalf, and identity verification from you; or (2) proof of power of attorney pursuant to California Probate Code sections 4000 to 4665.
We will not share your information or honor other requests in those situations in which we are unable to confirm a request for your information is a “verifiable request.”
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.
2. Colorado Privacy ActNOTICE TO COLORADO RESIDENTS
Your Rights under CPA
Subject to certain exceptions you may be entitled to the following rights:
- Right to Access & Data Portability. You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information at any time. Once we receive and confirm an authenticated consumer request from you, we will, subject to certain exceptions:
- Disclose whether we are processing your Personal Information.
- Provide you with access to your Personal Information where we process it.
- Right to Correct Inaccurate Information. To the extent that we may maintain inaccurate Personal Information, you have the right to request that we correct such inaccurate Personal Information taking into account the nature of the Personal Information and the purposes of the processing of the Personal Information. Once we receive and verify your authenticated consumer request, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct your Personal Information.
- Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete certain of your Personal Information provided by or obtained about you. To the extent that we can delete your Personal Information, once we receive and confirm your authenticated consumer request, we will delete your Personal Information, subject to certain exceptions.
- Sale of Personal Information, Targeted Advertising, Profiling, and the Right to Opt Out. You have the right to opt out of the processing of your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Targeted advertising.
- Sale of your Information.
- Profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning you.
- Right to Appeal. You have the right to appeal our denial of any request you make under this section. To exercise your right to appeal, please submit an appeals request via the information in the How To Contact Us section below. Within forty-five (45) days of receipt of your appeal, we will inform you in writing of any action taken or not taken in response to your appeal, including a written explanation of the reasons for the decisions. If you have concerns regarding the results of your appeal, you may contact the Colorado Office of the Attorney General by:
- Contacting Online: https://complaints.coag.gov/s/contact-us
- Calling: (720) 508-6000
Sensitive DataWe do not process sensitive data including sensitive data inferences. When we process sensitive data, we do so with your consent.
Authorized AgentYou may use an authorized agent to submit verifiable consumer requests on your behalf. An authorized agent is a natural person or a business entity that you have authorized to act on your behalf. If you use an authorized agent, we will require: (1) proof of written permission for the authorized agent to make requests on your behalf, and identity verification from you; or (2) proof of power of attorney pursuant to Colo. Rev. Stat. § 15-14-705. We may deny a request from an authorized agent that does not submit proper verification proof.
LODGING A COMPLAINTCalifornia Insider only processes your personal information in compliance with this privacy notice and in accordance with the relevant data protection laws
If you would like to raise an issue or lodge a complaint directly with California Insider, please contact us using the information below.
California Insider Address: 330 Commerce Suite 100, Irvine, CA 92604, USA
CONTACT USIf you have other questions, contact us @ email@example.com.
Or, by writing to the following postal address: 330 Commerce Suite 100, Irvine, CA 92604, USA.
This policy was last updated on December 2023.